I just wrote this long, elegant (not really) post about the above title. Somehow it was deleted. I don’t have the energy to re-write it.
Here is a rundown:
- iPhone’s multi-touch + gyroscope/accelerometer + software version 2.0 (and the download website) make it an amazing gaming platform. I speak from experience with my “cracked” iPod Touch.
- The iPhone is what the next DS should have been (and maybe will be): the iPhone is the mini-Wii.
- When it comes to portability, would you rather have many devices that do 1 thing really well or one device that does all the things pretty well (and in the Iphones case, maybe better)? I would rather have one. My pocket will thank me.
- What does the future hold? Nintendo and Sony (and probably Microsoft albeit through a software/zune gaming solution), will launch multi-touch, accelerometered gaming cell phones. If they are marketed as gaming cell-phones, a-la Nokia’s Ngage, they will fail. However, the PSP next is just an amazing looking (and working) Sony/Ericsonn phone that also happens to play playstation games, then it could succeed.
- Microsoft will spend a lot of time making Windows Mobile gaming a reality
- I might be wrong on Nintendo DS Next’s future — knowing Nintendo, they will keep it just as a gaming platform.
- One thing is certain, the iPhone is about to steal the portable gaming market’s thunder the same way it stole the smartphone market’s thunder. Cue the slapping your head “duh” moment from Nintendo/Sony/MS executives and fanboys alike (minus Nokia, they saw it coming although they couldn’t get it really right).
Check out this video from IGN.
Now I wish Randi could finish her work (it is 11:47pm and my twenty minutes of non-bar thought is up. Time to go to bar dreams…evidence, crimpro, property — snore).